If you’re as much of a secret agents fan as we are ourselves, then we definitely recommend you to check out this Max Megaways pokie from Big Time Gaming where you’ll be taken to the coast for a mission you won’t forget anytime soon. The Megaways game is packed with features that are already available in the base game which is something most Kiwis will be delighted to find out. This Megaways release gives you the option to win up to 139,200x the bet which is huge compared to other games — even for today’s standards. Read more about the game in our Mad Megaways review that is available around the world for those that are interested, but is especially meant for New Zealand.
Max Megaways Pokie Review
It’s time to release your inner James Bond (or Jason Bourne) in the Max Megaways pokie powered by Big Time Gaming. This spy themed pokie game works with a grid of 6 reels and gives you up to 117,649 ways to win. With cascades, 4 random base game features, and multiple Free Spins features, you’ll even have the opportunity to pick and play with up to 3 Power-Ups. These include double multipliers, duplicating wilds, easy retriggers, more ways to win and no lower value symbols. With the Win Exchange, this pokie comes with a 96.37% RTP rate and a max win of 139,200x. Ready? Jump right into the action.
Nice to know
|Launched||21 September 2022|
|Software||Big Time Gaming|
|Features||Additional Free Spins, Avalanche / Cascading Wins, Buy Feature, Free Spins, Free Spins Multiplier, Megaways, Multiplier, Random Wilds, Additional Wilds, Remove Symbols, Risk/Gamble Game, Scatter symbols, Symbol Swap, Wild|
|Grid Layout||6 Reels|
|Min. bet/line||$ 0.10|
- ✅ Highest Paying Megaways Game So Far
- ✅ 117649 Ways To Win
- ✅ Heaps Of Features
- ✅ Win Exchange Feature
- ✅ Two Bonus Buy Features
- ✅ Cluster Pays Mechanism
- ✅ Win Up to 139.200x Your Bet
- ❌ High Volatility
Review Max Megaways
Although we already knew that Max Megaways was going to be a game that features a secret agent, it may take some time to actually realise that this is the theme of the pokie. A rocky mountain located near the sea gives a completely different impression of the game at first, but our bet is that most people will really like to take part in this mission. Anyone who knows Big Time Gaming also knows that the Megaways mechanism is part of the action which means that six reels and 2-7 rows make up the grid with up to 117,649 paylines. Land 3-6 matching symbols on a payline from left to right and you’ll make a winning combination. There is heaps to say about the features, awarding you some extras in the base game, like free spins. These can help you win up to 139,200x the bet, which is exceptionally high — even for today’s standards.
How to Play
The reels are set somewhere on a large mountain that is part of a small island’s paradise landscape. On the top of the screen there is a light that is switched on when a base game bonus feature is activated. Below the reels you’ll find a Megaways counter that informs you about the amount of betways on each spin. In its full potential of maximum 7 rows, you will have 117,649 ways to win. To win, you need to land at least 3 of the same symbols on adjacent reels, from left to right. Bet sizes range in Max Megaways from $0.20 to $20 per spin. The highest payout you’ll find in the paytable is the Purple Gemstone, which gives you 5x your bet for 6 of a kind symbols. Here’s how to play Max Megaways:
- When the game loads, you’ll find the rules and paytable via Info button that is found on the bottom left corner of the main screen. The additional settings are found under the menu button to the left of the info screen, where you’ll have the option to toggle Quick Spins, audio effects and also change your stake.
- Adjust your bet by clicking the plus or minus buttons which are found on either side of the spin button.
- If you’re ready to play, then go for the spin button or the autoplay button. Auto Spins are available at NZ online casinos and can be set anywhere between 10 and 1000 spins. Please note that there are no other limit presets available in this game, so you’ll need to set your own. Once you’ve done it’s time to enjoy Max Megaways.
The graphics are clear and with a very decent spy movie soundtrack, Max Megaways truly manages to exceed our expectations when it comes to music. In addition to the standard music that is part of the game, there are other audio effects when the features are activated, as well as great visual effects on winning symbols. As for symbols, the low pays are 9-A card royals which are worth between 0.3x and 0.5x the stake. The premium symbols consist of the 4 jewel symbols that come in different colours and have values ranging from 0.6x the stake to 5x the stake for a full payline of 5 similar symbols on a payline. The wild also substitutes for all regular symbols and appears on the Extra Reel. This is not the case if they are triggered by the vertical or duplicate wild bonuses.
|Symbol||Payout for 3||Payout for 4||Payout for 5||Payout for 6|
|Turbo Wild||Substitutes All Symbols Except Scatter|
|Wild Bomb||Appears during Wild Bomb feature|
|Scatter||3+ Scatters Activate Free Spins feature|
|Megascatter||Activates Enhanced Free Spins feature|
Secret agents are generally known for their gadgets and BTG has kept up with this tradition by equipping Max Megaways with a fair amount of special features; including reactions, four base game modifiers, two types of free spins features, a full range of bonuses, a bonus buy, and the Win Exchange. As these are quite a lot of features, we’ll dive into them below so you’ll have a better idea of what each of them does for you:
All symbols that make a winning combination are removed from the grid and replaced by new symbols. This is done from above on the main reels or from the right on the extra reel. If new symbols give a new win, another reaction is triggered.
Base Game Bonuses
Every spin or every time the waterfall mechanism is triggered in the base game you have a chance to trigger a wild modifier. Here’s how that works:
- Maximum Megaways: each reel consists of the maximum number of 7 symbols during the spin, which also stands for the maximum number of 117,649 ways to win.
- Vertical Wild: all symbols on one reel are replaced by wild symbols.
- Horizontal Wild: all symbols on the Extra Reel are replaced by wilds.
- Wild Bomb: a Wild Bomb is placed on the Extra Reel. After the winning combinations have been paid out, all symbols are replaced by new symbols. This applies to all symbols except scatters or the Wild Bomb.
There are 2 types of scatters in Max Megaways: normal Gold Scatters and Diamond Mega scatters. Three scatters will award 10 free spins + 2 free spins for each additional scatter. If one of the triggering scatters is a Megascatter, enhanced free spins are awarded. In the base game, normal scatters land on reels 1-5 while the Megascatter lands on reel 6.
Pick & Click
Before the free spins start, there is a pick & click game. Players must click on 2 doors to reveal modifiers for the free spins. In that case you get 2 choices when regular free spins are activated or 3 choices in case of the enhanced free spins. Prepare yourself for the following modifiers:
- Double Multiplier: the multiplier is increased by +2 after the waterfall mechanism.
- Duplicating Wilds: all wild symbols turn the symbols below them into wilds.
- 2 Scatter Retrigger: landing two or more scatters will award additional free spins.
- Increased Ways: a minimum of five symbols land on each reel.
- No Lower Symbols: the 9, 10 and J symbols are removed from the game.
During the free spins, a multiplier is active which starts at x1 and increases by +1 after each waterfall mechanism. Also, the scatters now only appear on the Extra Reel located above the grid. If the 2 Scatter Retrigger is not won, 3 scatter symbols will give you 4 extra free spins. Every scatter on top of that will give you another 4 extra free spins.
Click on the ticket button to buy instant access to the bonus round. This gives you a number of options. Buying both bonuses comes with the standard RTP of 96.37% meaning, the RTP does not change in the bonus buy feature:
- 75 the bet: regular free spins giving you 2 bonus choices.
- 200x the bet: Megascatter free spins giving you 3 choices.
Win Exchange Feature
The Win Exchange feature also comes with two options:
- If you win between 25 and 10 x bet, you have the option to exchange the win for a chance of triggering the Free Spins feature. In this case, you’ll come across a wheel with green and red segments. Land in the green segment to play free spins.
- If you land in the red segment, you’ll be set back to the base game. If you win over 100x bet, you can exchange this win for access to the Free Spins feature.
The Max Megaways pokie makes use of Megaways. With 6 reels available, there are up to 17,649 ways to win with each reel displaying between 2 and 7 symbols. The more symbols per reel, the more ways to win. To reach full Megaways potential, you will need to land 7 symbols on each reel. What then appears is determined randomly on each spin. Minimum and maximum bets range from $ 0,20p to $ 20 a spin. Use the arrows in the Stake box to change this according to your preferences. There is no Turbo Mode for BTG pokies.
The Max Megaways RTP is set at a convenient 96.37% which is better than the industry average RTP of 96%. Please note that the volatility of this game is very high with massive wins hard to come by. The hit frequency rate in Max Megaways is set at 38.07, which means that nearly 40% of all spins on average will lead to a winning combination. In terms of payouts in Max Megaways, the max win is 139,200x your total bet which makes this BTG production the highest paying Megaways pokie available today. In the base game, you can already win up to an impressive 11,140x bet per spin.
Big Time Gaming knows better than anyone how to make a successful game with dynamic reels and in Max Megaways they impress again. Max Megaways is a rock solid release when it comes to both the features and maths that come with the game. The waterfall mechanics and modifiers keep the base game very interesting, as you’ll still be left wondering if you’ll eventually get to see the inside of the villain’s HQ in the mountains.
Each bonus round in Max Megaways is different thanks to the different modifier combinations and the potential of 139,200x sets this game apart from other online pokies. There are few games that give players such a high maximum potential win. The only thing we don’t understand is why Big Time Gaming didn’t use symbols of a secret agent or the villain which would’ve suited the game a lot more than the boring symbols used now. Other than that, Max Megaways definitely gets the most out of it. BTG has once again shown what it takes to produce a game that will be remembered.